Mathematics is essential for everyday life and for understanding and succeeding in our world. It is also essential to science, technology, music and the many benefits that these can bring.
We want all children at SS Mary and Michael Catholic Primary School, to see themselves as mathematicians and to:
- Have a positive attitude towards the learning of mathematics and an enjoyment of the challenges posed by maths.
- Develop a fluency in the different aspects of maths and be able to apply their learning in different context.
- Develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of contexts
- Develop the mathematical skills and confidence in order to succeed in school and everyday life.
- To recognise that the beauty within maths is a part of God’s glorious creation.
In the planning and teaching of maths, we use the Lancashire Maths planning documents to ensure progression and coverage of the National Curriculum 2014 objectives.